Archive for January, 2010
The body’s ability to become accustomed to temperature is quite astonishing. It’s been four months since I moved to LA from New York and, now, I think 50 degrees is freezing!
As you can imagine, packing was a complete joy (sarcasm is my second language)–and trying to decide which sweaters and pants to pack for my 10 day trip back East was so stressful that I actually broke out in hives at one point! Mind you, I haven’t worn any of my winter clothes in nearly a year, and so naturally I decided that I need brand new winter clothes, even if I do now live in LA. But I digress.
Let’s just say it was a loooong 10 day sta y (home, sweet home!). What surprised me the most was how my skin reacted to the climate change. Between the dry, cold air and the chlorine-infused shower water, my normally already-dry skin was almost Sahara-like.
LA…I didn’t even realize how much I love you. Empire State: see you soon. (In the summer, I hope!)
Here’s a list of my New York trip beauty staples:
- Aquaphor Healing Ointment: I always carry this stuff with me- it’s the only thing that prevents chapped noses and on this trip, I applied it on my lips, which have never been more dry.
- Jurlique Love Balm: This is my latest obsession. It astounds me that one product can be so useful…on this trip, I used the Love Balm on my fingernails, which became super dry and actually really hurt as a result of me not wearing gloves while walking around Manhattan. I should know better, I know.
- Mystic Tan: Seriously. I think part of me wanted to show up to New York with the most glorious California tan imaginable but in all honesty, that could never happen. I don’t tan. I turn red. And even if I could tan, I wouldn’t since I’d rather not get skin cancer. As a result, I joined my cousin went to she went to Beach Bum Tan to distort her DNA a bit…I mocked all the Jersey Shore-looking ladies in the salon and then, for giggles, decided to just bite the bullet and re-live the days when I too, was also a Long Island resident. They still had my name and college address in the computer.
- Jane Iredale Dot the i: It seems so silly but I’ve become completely dependent on these. I stayed at a friend’s house for New Year’s Eve and when I realized that I forgot to bring some with me, I almost had a melt down. HOW was I expected to remove the 20lbs. of eye makeup that I had on?! My friend’s answer: Toilet paper. They will never understand.
- Physicians Formula Organic Wear Eye Makeup Remover Pads: See above because, yes, I said toilet paper. I don’t think I’ve ever wished for my product closet more in my entire life. I completely took for granted how amazing (and natural!) this product is. You don’t have to worry about putting any chemicals in your eyes and they’re BIG so you really only need to use one or two pads to get everything off.
Three years after being paralyzed in a pool diving accident, Francesco Clark–founder of skincare line Clark’s Botanicals–was in an emotional fog, traumatized and feeling adrift. When Christopher Reeve suddenly passed away, Francesco was spurred into action, realizing that he wanted to make a difference, and founding Clark’s Botanicals. (The line is made from essential oils, botanicals and vitamins, is highly effective, and smells wonderful. Sensitive and drier skins will love the Deep Moisture Mask.)
Francesco is now the new ambassador for The Christopher Reeve Foundation, and is publishing his first book, Walking Papers, on June 1, 2010–the anniversary of his accident.
Learn more about Francesco’s amazing, inspiring story tomorrow, Wednesday January 6th, when he appears on the PBS series “This Emotional Life” at 9pm.
Love+Toast Sugar Grapefruit Hand Cream has changed my lifestyle. I know: It’s a bold claim.
This portable, gorgeously-designed tube of fabulosity smells of fairies and divinity with sparkling citrus notes without veering into sickly sweet territory. Candied grapefruit if you will, but subtly sophisticated. I don’t like sickly sweet; I was raised in a no-sugar household. I’m planning to buy the brand’s Sugar Grapefruit Eau de Parfum (only $9!) as well. And it absorbs instantly and leaves no greasy, wet feel, so you can go back to living your life (just a little more moisturized) in mere seconds. (more…)